At this time of year we can’t help but get excited at the thought of Christmas food, particularly sweet treats! We’ve partnered with cake-maker-extraordinaire Jenni of Two Little Cats Bakery to bring you three simple no-bake recipes that you can rustle up in no time, all with a gold theme to add some extra sparkle to your celebrations!
All recipes make perfect gifts, or treats to snuggle up with during the run up to Christmas.
Gingerbread Cheesecake Truffles (makes approx 20)
You will need:
– A packet of ginger nut biscuits
– Full fat cream cheese, we used four dessert spoons
– 200g of your chocolate of choice
– Sparkly toppings, we’ve used gold leaf that you can now find in larger supermarkets
1. Blitz biscuits into a fine crumb.
2. Slowly add the cream cheese, mixing it in to the biscuit crumbs with your hands until it is all combined and you can shape the mix into a ball without it falling apart. Careful not to add too much cream cheese or your mix will be sloppy.
3. Roll into about 20 bite sized truffles.
4. Put the truffles onto a baking sheet lined with grease proof and put them in the freezer for 30 mins – 1 hour.
5. Melt your chocolate using a microwave on 30 second blasts. Once fully melted, take your truffles out of the freezer and dip them into the chocolate.
6. Working quickly as the chocolate will set quickly on the frozen truffles, add a small piece of the gold leaf onto each truffle. If you don’t want to use gold leaf, you can use lustre sprays or even sprinkles.
7. Leave the truffles to set at room temperature, then serve!
Mince Pie Popcorn – perfect for munching whilst watching a Christmas film or scoop into clear bags tied with a ribbon for a cute gift!
You will need:
– A packet of popcorn, you want the kind that you have to pop yourself!
– A jar of mincemeat
– Edible gold stars
1. Pop the corn following the packet instructions.
2. Mix through your mincemeat – we used half a jar.
3. Spread out onto a baking tray lined with grease proof paper.
4. Put into a pre-heated oven at 180C for 6-10 mins. Keep an eye on it! The time will depend on your oven, so keep checking it to make sure it’s not burning.
5. As your popcorn is cooling, keep stirring it to make sure it isn’t all sticking together in one big lump
6. Once cold, mix through your edible gold stars for a twinkly finish!
Glitter Salted Caramel– use in brownies, cakes, over ice cream, stirred into your favourite hot chocolate, or just with a spoon!
You will need:
– 260g caster sugar
– 4 tbsp water
– 140ml double cream
– 50g butter
– 1 tsp salt
– Edible glitter – use gold to get the sparkliest look!
1. Dissolve the sugar with the water in a saucepan over a medium heat. Don’t stir the mixture at this stage or it will go grainy!
2. Slightly increase the heat and bubble the mixture for about 5 minutes until it turns a golden brown colour.
3. Take off the heat and stir in the cream and butter.
4. Add your salt (adjust the quantity up or down depending on how salty you like your sauce!)
5. Stir in the edible glitter
Thanks to Two Little Cats Bakery for the beautiful photos and recipes!